Staffing Request Form
Systems Engineer III – Messaging
Number of Openings
Mon – Fri. Hours are 9-5 or 8-4.
Job Details Summary:
SYSTEMS ENGINEER III - MESSAGING
The primary responsibilities of this role will be for the design, management, and support of enterprise class email systems. Working with members of the Data Center team, provides expert knowledge about Microsoft Exchange (on-prem), Exchange Online, Microsoft Active Directory, Proofpoint Protection Server, TRAP, TAP, IMD, mobile device management, SMTP relay, and Office 365. Additional knowledge around email security, public cloud, SMTP, IMAP, and other protocols is expected. This associate will interface with customers, associates, management, and third parties, so excellent communication skills are essential. The associate in this role is required to act as a tier three support engineer, so evening and weekend work is required.
- Leads assigned areas of the IT Systems Infrastructure as well as junior engineers. Provides cross training and offers expert advice. Manages and develops infrastructure documentation.
- Reviews and designs systems that will support the infrastructure and business applications while providing as much up time as possible.
- Maintains and monitors infrastructure components for latest versions performs health checks and maintenance, which may require after hours or weekend duties.
- Mentors junior members of the team while developing rapport, respect, and effective communication with all those interacted with, including IT and business owners.
- Leads and manages projects through completion while ensuring minimal impact to the business and that various requirements and defined expectations are met.
- Evaluates solutions to meet needs and makes recommendations to management for future strategies and tools to accomplish this.
- Performs third level, expert support of issues in the infrastructure environment leveraging existing knowledge or support from vendors. This may include off hours support when needed.
Core / Critical Competencies
Demonstrates a Commitment to Service Excellence through Trustworthiness and Integrity
- Acts within and upholds the SCI Code of Conduct and Dignity Promise Standards while demonstrating corporate values.
- Is trusted by others; keeps commitments to others.
- Comes up with new ways to look at problems and processes in their work.
- Works productively with minimal supervision; achieves work objectives in a timely manner.
- Works to resolve routine problems promptly and effectively.
- Is open to new and different ways to accomplish work.
- Responds positively and productively to new initiatives or changes in priorities.
- Conveys facts and information clearly in written and spoken communications.
- Shares viewpoints and information openly and listens attentively to others’ ideas and suggestions.
- Communicates in a timely and effective manner with their manager.
Collaborate with Others
- Proactively contributes to group objectives; volunteers to help others as needed.
- Welcomes ideas and input from others.
Build Productive Relationships (Internal / External)
- Relates to others in an open and helpful manner; consistently treats others with respect.
- Maintains composure in challenging situations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent technical training is preferred. Commiserate experience may be substituted.
- Typically requires a minimum 10 years of directly related experience as a systems engineer using various infrastructure components such as Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, SMTP relay appliances like Barracuda, email spam filtering technologies, like Cisco IronPort or Proofpoint, and other applications listed below. Additional experience as a team lead, supervisor, or project manager in an enterprise environment is preferred.
- Microsoft certifications are a plus – current certifications in some relevant areas of the job as described in the requirements section preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to troubleshoot a variety of technical problems and own issues through resolution while sometimes needing to engage others for assistance.
- Knowledge commensurate with experience level of the following programs/systems:
- Enterprise email environment solutions:
- Microsoft Exchange 2016/2019 and/or Exchange Online is a must
- Microsoft Outlook and/or Office 365 / Microsoft 365 clients
- Email spam and anti-virus products, such as Proofpoint (cloud or on-prem)
- SMTP relay appliances, like Barracuda
- Knowledge of email security concepts like DMARC, DKIM, SPF and others
- Good knowledge of PowerShell scripting preferred
- Email monitoring and backup solutions
- Active Directory
- General knowledge about networking, such as load balancing
- Enterprise email environment solutions:
- Strong understanding of server and networking fundamentals and concepts.
- Requires advanced understanding of technical concepts, very strong communication skills both verbal and non-verbal as well as the ability to function as an independent worker.Thorough understanding of client layer 2 and layer 3 networking as well as various network protocols and the ability to assist and train more junior level team members.
- May have acted as a manager, team lead, or project manager for various projects in an enterprise level setting, if possible.
- Work indoors during all seasons and weather conditions
- Limited amount of local and/or remote location traveling required.
- Standard business dress is required.
- Sitting continuously for many hours per day, up to 8 hours per day
- Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is required, includes paperwork, calculators, computers and phone usage.
Working a number of evenings every month and available for weekend work, if required.